Monday, April 30, 2012

Soap Challenge Accepted!! (week 6)

So Amy Warden (of Great Cakes Soapworks) has been issuing a weekly challenge to soapers far and wide. Last week's challenge was to create a soap using the Faux Funnel Pour technique. 

You basically divide your soap batch into different colors and then pour one after the other into the same spot in your soap mold, creating a neat pattern. (She has a video on her blog post for the challenge)

I had never done a Funnel Pour before, not to mention a Faux Funnel Pour, so...... Challenge ACCEPTED!!

Since I was new to this technique, and not sure how much time I would need to get all of the colors into the mold.... I decided that I would use a tried and true fragrance oil that I KNEW wasn't going to accelerate on me, or cause me any issues. "Energy" was the perfect choice for this challenge. Because of it's citrus-y notes, I wanted to do bright fun colors. Something with pizzaz!

in the mold

I also wanted to liven things up a bit with more than just color. Let there be GLITTER!!!!!
Now, I've done glitter on the tops of soaps before, but I really wanted to change things up and try something new. So, I added ultrafine iridescent glitter to just the white part of the soap... right IN the soap batter itself.
I have to admit, I wasn't sure what it was going to look like once I unwrapped it...


You just never know what you're going to get until you slice it open and take a look at the inside.

OoOohh!! Glitter!

 I have to admit, I am quite pleased with how these turned out! Though now I'm sure I'll be asked to do them in the team colors of the Universities (since this one has the green and yellow of the Oregon Ducks, it's already become a prized possession of Duck fans that I know)

  Thanks for taking the time to look! Happy soaping!


Be sure to head over to my FB fan page to see more!

6 comments:

  1. I love it!! Now that you've done it, will you do it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely, Amy! Like I said... the Beaver fans are already barking at my door for a black/orange version... and the Duck fans want me to make more of the same batch that I have featured here. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love the glitter through the white, it really does add some pizzaz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, ladies! I really had a lot of fun playing with it!

    I just got back from the HSMG Conference, and can't wait to post some more!

    ReplyDelete